Thursday, February 5, 2009

Announcing Family Pancake Day February 15th

Greetings from the Bread and Roses Cafe Kidzfood Program.

Skydragon
presents
the Bread and Roses Cafe
Family Pancake Day
Sunday February 15th
10am - 2pm


Come join us for a celebration of family, community and pancakes.

Menu


Organic Spelt and Flax Seed Pancakes
or
Organic Pumpkin, Spelt and Flax Seed Pancakes
served with
Local Maple Syrup, Cinnamon Apple Sauce or Mixed Berry Compote

Enjoy Organic Coffee, Espresso or Cappuccino
And a variety or healthy organic teas.
Organic Juices and specialty drinks also available.


Lisa, your Kidzfood Coordinator
will be the "Pancologist" for the day.
In between flipping the jacks I will be happy to meet you
and answer any questions that you may have about our
Kidzfood! Healthy Lunch Program.



I would like to share a website that I find useful and informative.
It's non profit and seems to truly have your best interests in mind.
Worlds Healthiest Foods can be found at-

http://whfoods.org

One of the pages I find most useful is
http://whfoods.org/foodstoc.php

There is a list of 129 healthiest foods and their nutritional breakdown including vitamins
and minerals and just what role they play in our health at a cellular level.

Remember to visit our
Organic Farmer's Market on Saturdays between 10am and 2pm
with vegetables supplied by Plan B Organic Farms
http://planborganicfarms.ca

I am happy to use the vegetables and fruit Plan B brings in for planning the menu each week. Our ingredients also come from the Ontario Natural Food Coop
and the Hamilton Farmer's Market.

I've spoken with a number of parents who are so happy that their children are participating in our Kidzfood! Healthy Lunch Program and are enjoying the food
and even eating better at home! One mother asked if I had a cook book because
her child likes the food I am preparing. That was high praise indeed. That and children have been reported to actually be eating vegetables!
I use as many of them as I can and besides a main course
they get raw veggies in some form each day and a piece/portion of fruit.

When I use pasta it is organic kamut (not as mushy as rice pasta).
For sandwiches or french toast, I use organic sourdough spelt or multigrain bread.
Spelt flour and flax seed for pancakes
and I use organic long grain brown rice for casseroles etc.


If you have any questions or suggestions
lisa@skydragon.org
or leave a message on Marg Ann Roorda our Executive Chef"s Voicemail
905*777*8102

No comments: